Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A veterinary-client relationship of trust and respect: Great Dane Tick Fever

DRAFT - Google Docs
Written Toa Payoh Community Library
Aug 26, 2008 6.46 pm

A veterinary-client relationship of trust and respect benefits this Great Dane

Tuesday Aug 19, 2008
Lethargy, anorexia, fever and pallor past 2 days.
"My Great Dane had a few ticks during the past few days. Now he is not eating and sleeps a lot. He looks pale in his gums. Can it be tick fever? Can you make a house-call?" the caregiver asked me.

"If it is tick fever, do not delay. I will get a pet transport man to bring the dog down to the surgery."

"Can I come tonight?" the caregiver said.
"If it is the starting of tick fever, come down now to get the dog treated before the disease overwhelms him," I advised.

At 3 pm, the caregiver in her forties, with hair dishevelled and frown lines all over her face brought the Great Dane to the Surgery. The 2.5-year-old male giant canine sauntered into the Surgery. He had never been sick and therefore had not been to the veterinary surgery for the past 2.5 years.

Fever confirmed. It was 40.2C. Moderate pallor of gums and conjunctiva.
Two men carried the giant onto the table. Put catheter IV inserted. 3 blood samples to be sent to the laboratory. IV dextrose saline, duphalyte and baytril IV given.
Sent home with bottle of 5% dextrose saline and duphalyte on slow IV drip.
Dog could still walk home. He looked normal.

Wednesday Aug 20, 2008
Not eating much. Lethargy. No news from caregiver.
Pancytopenia in blood test result - Low red, white blood cells and platelets. Based on laboratory tests, the Great Dane should not be standing and should be bleeding to death. But he could be at the start of the acute stage of Tick Fever and the parasites were just destroying his blood cells. Was there any hope for him?

Thursday Aug 21, 2008
Phoned caregiver. Not really improved. Still not eating much.
I told caregiver I would need to make a house-call to check and give
anti-babesiosis injection. What I said was all Greek to the caregiver.
Caregiver was cooking liver. Dog ate when caregiver hand-fed bits of liver.
Caregiver showed me that she had bought 0.9% NaCl from a general practitioner and and 5% dextrose bag from somewhere. She would give the solutions by SC. I gave 2.6 ml Imizole SC. Duphalyte x 1 bottle to caregiver. Advised caregiver to come for more vibravet medication on completion of 7 days' course and buy a thermometer.

Friday Aug 22, 2008
Great Dane not really interested in food.
"No time to buy the thermometer," caregiver said.
"Did you check on how much water the Great Dane drink and what is the colour of his urine?" I asked.
"You know, I have been very busy updating price list of goods nowadays," she said. "I also cooked for the dog. I do not have time to monitor how much water he drinks or the colour of his pee!" The cost of goods must increase as there was a surge in food, petrol and other prices in the past week and the caregiver was responsible to get the updates done before the weekend sales. The Great Dane had to fall sick and took up a lot of her time.

"Blood tests for Babesia and Ehrlichia at the AVA would cost $200. Do you want them?" I asked the caregiver.
She was hesitant about the costs involved. As I have had given the Great Dane the important treatment for the two types of parasites causing tick fever, I said, "Wait and see".

Tuesday Aug 26, 2008
"Great Dane asked to be bathed today," caregiver said. "I need to come down to your surgery to get the vibravet tablets". Surprisingly the caregiver remembered as she had a lot of paperwork to do.
"When did the Great Dane recover?" I asked.
"On Sunday, he was so hungry and ate all food."
"It must be due to Imizole and medication," I forgot to acknowledge caregiver's role.
"It is due to my extra vitamins and cooking of liver for him."
Her boss came to the surgery to get vibravet for ten 10 more days as caregiver was busy updating pricing of pet products.







Conclusion
It is important for the vet to follow up on suspicious tick fever cases. As there was a relationship of trust and respect, I made a house-call to give the Great Dane the anti-Babesia injection after reviewing his blood panel tests. There was no time to wait for the specific blood tests to confirm the presence of the blood parasites which may or may not be present.

This caregiver was extremely good in the nursing care of the Great Dane and a great asset to her boss. A relationship of trust and respect between the caregiver and the veterinarian is always beneficial to the pet. If there was no such relationship, I doubt I would dare to follow up on this case.

No comments: